Monday, December 19, 2016

Feliz Navidad!




Hola everyone! How are you all?

I am so excited for Christmas! Although I have to admit that it
doesn't really seem like it's Christmas... It doesn't even really seem
like it's December since it's still sunny and warm down here in
California. BUT the Christmas Spirit is alive and well in us
missionaries and in (most of) the people we talk to! It's such a
blessing to be a missionary at Christmas time. It's definitely hard
and weird to not be with my family celebrating with the normal
traditions that we have, but I love being a representative of Jesus
Christ and wouldn't trade it for anything. I love talking about Jesus
Christ all the time, but especially now, when everyone already has Him
in mind a little more than usual (although we should try to have Him
in mind every day, even when it isn't Christmas anymore).

This week has been a week full of miracles, just like every other
week. Every day Hermana Hirschi and I have people ask if we're sisters
or cousins, and they often have an incredulous look on their face when
they realize that we have the same last name! It's almost as if they
don't believe us, which is pretty funny. We are working well together,
and this past week we have been able to help 3 people set a goal of
being baptized to follow the example of Jesus Christ on January 14,
2017! I can't think of a better way for them or their families to
start the new year. Two of them are our neighbors, Luis and Dulce.
They are a sweet couple and have two cute kids, Tony and Dulce. They
have a lot of faith in Jesus Christ, and are working to overcome some
problems, and it's really amazing to see how through Christ they are
able to make progress every day. The other person who will be baptized
that day is Erica. She has been learning about the church for about 3
months now, and she has loved learning about it so far and wants to
keep learning about it! She has 5 adorable kids, and the oldest is 8,
so he might be baptized the same day as her. We are also teaching her
husband Martin, and we're helping him learn more about Jesus Christ
and His gospel as well, so hopefully he will be able to be baptized
with his wife and son. This gospel is really all about the family, and
I've seen how it has changed and strengthened families so much in the
past month that I've been here in California.

I started reading the Book of Mormon again in September, and my goal
is to finish it by Sunday as a Christmas present for Jesus Christ :)
As I've read, I've written down one phrase from each page that has
stuck out to me, and now that I'm almost done, it's beautiful to look
back on the pages and see the phrases that stuck out to me most that
day. I've gained a stronger testimony of how true the Book of Mormon
is. I know it is the word of God. It's been really cool to see how
personal the Book of Mormon is to me and also to the people who read
it for the first time. I've been lucky enough to see people reading it
and finding answers to questions like "Why does God allow suffering to
happen," and lots of other personal questions. It's a book like no
other, and no man could write a book that answers every single
person's personal questions. I know the Book of Mormon is the word of
God, and I am so grateful that we have it today. A verse that I read
this morning that I'd like to share is this:

"'Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a
better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope
cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would
make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being
led to glorify God."

I'm grateful for my faith in God, because I know that He lives and
loves me. I know that Jesus Christ is the living Son of God, who came
to earth to suffer, die, and live again so that we can someday return
to live with God and our families again. I know He lives! In this
Christmas season, I'm so grateful for the light that Christ brings to
my heart, especially in this too often dark world. What a hope that
light brings us.

I'M SO LUCKY TO BE A MISSIONARY. I hope you all know how much I love
being a missionary and how grateful I am for the support of each of
you. You mean so much to me!

May God be with each of you this Christmas! Merry Christmas!

Love,
Hermana Hirschi


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are doing well. Of course, I had no doubts. It is cool about the two of you working together. With your faith you will go far. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Miss you and love you.

    ReplyDelete