Tuesday, October 18, 2016

It's A Wonderful Life

Hello friends and family! How is everyone today? I hope you are all well.

This past week has been awesome, as have all the weeks here in the MTC. I'm sitting here typing this looking out the window at some beautiful trees, eating some yummy cookies, and couldn't imagine being anywhere else. I love learning more about Christ every day, and I love being a servant of Him. It rained yesterday and it made me happy! I truly do have such a wonderful life.

Remember the beautiful song I wrote about last week? We got to perform that at the devotional this past Tuesday, and guess who the speaker was! Elder David A. Bednar! What a cool opportunity it was to perform for an Apostle of the Lord, and then to hear his counsel of how we can come closer to Christ. I'm so grateful that God has called prophets and apostles today, just like He has done throughout time. His love is so great and powerful. (Also the rumor in the MTC is that our devotional speaker today might be Jeffrey R. Holland.. stay tuned next week to see if that is true or not!)

This week, I was lucky enough to get to teach a lesson about the Book of Mormon to the other sister missionaries who are serving Spanish speaking missions. As I read and studied to prepare for that lesson, I felt my testimony of that great book grow even more. I love this quote by Gordon B. Hinckley: "There is nothing we could do of greater importance than to have fortified in our individual lives an unshakable conviction that Jesus is the Christ.... And that my brothers and sisters, is the purpose of the coming forth of this remarkable and wonderful book." Could it be any clearer that the purpose of the Book of Mormon is to bring each soul who reads it closer to Christ? Speaking from my own experience, I know that this is true! I've felt closer to Christ each time I read even just a small passage. I know that the same will happen for any person who reads the Book of Mormon with a sincere desire to grow closer to Christ, and I promise you that if you have that desire, you will know that the Book of Mormon testifies of Christ and will help you personally in your life to come to know Him. If any of you read the Book of Mormon and feel that, will you share your experience with me? I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences with the book that I love so much. (If you don't have a copy and want one, let me know and I can get you one for free!)

Also! Something that was super fun for me this week was that my district was chosen out of the entire MTC to be the test district for a new class on family history! So this past Sunday, I was able to spend an hour looking through my family tree, learning about my ancestors and it was the coolest experience. I love how important family history work is in this church. As I read through the names and stories of my family members, I honestly felt a connection with them. I love my family, both those on the earth now and those who have gone before! I know God cares about our families, and I'm so grateful that He has a Plan for us to be together with our families for all eternity.

In all honesty, everything hard about being away from my family and home fades in comparison to the love I feel from God. Life was not meant to be easy, but it was meant to be joyful even in the hard times! I have been so blessed to feel that joy even in the midst of difficulties. God is so good to me. 

Thank you to all those who write me letters, Dear Elders or send me packages - you make the world go round and I'm forever grateful to you! They are a bright spot in my days :) As always, if you have any questions or thoughts you'd like to share, I promise to reply to you! 

Since I focused so much on the Book of Mormon this week, I want to just end with a verse that I think perfectly encapsulates my thoughts towards you! "May Christ life thee up, and may His sufferings and death... and His mercy and long-suffering, and the hope of His glory and of eternal life rest in your mind forever." (Moroni 9:25). May Christ lift each of you up this week in both the difficult and the good times.

Con amor,

Sister Sarah Hirschi | California Arcadia Mission

MTC Address: 
Sister Sarah Hirschi
NOV01 CA-ARC
2005 N 900 E Unit 259
Provo, UT 84602



Pictures:
1. Hermana Flores & I outside of the temple!
2. Hermana Wright! She is one of the most amazing people I've ever met. She left this week for her mission in Anaheim, CA and I'm so excited to hear about all her adventures.
3. Hermana Carreon! She and I met in Boise in the Deseret Book right before we both came into the MTC and have become such good friends here! She left for her mission in San Diego, CA yesterday.
4. Sometimes your laundry is just too heavy to carry any other way but this... 
5. Elders! And Hermana Flores. 
6. A beautiful depiction of the verse I shared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment